Spring Disking with the 5020

In this video we are disking with the John Deere 5020. The tractor has been gone all winter to a shop, so it was nice to have it back & be able to do some work with it. In this video we’re pulling a John Deere BW disk. The field was plowed in the fall, so in the spring we disk it to break down the soil further (remove the slumps from plowing) to help prepare a better seedbed for planting (seed drilling).

After we disk it, we’re going to plant new alfalfa on the East half and a three-way grain hay on the West side.

Yes, I know the disk is too small for this tractor–but it’s all I have. 🙂

The tractor is a 1966 John Deere 5020 with a John Deere BW disk.

Support me on Patreon

Balancing a day job, running a farm, and restoring/using old tractors and equipment takes a lot of resources! Unfortunately, the process to create the videos of these old classic tractors does take some cold hard cash. If you’d like, feel free to support me on Patreon. I’ll still continue to create them without it–but a little help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kyle

https://www.patreon.com/kylew2001

2017 Farm Year in Review Video

This video is a summary of the activities on the farm for 2017. It covers cultivating the Alfalfa, disking, sprinkling, cutting hay (swathing), raking hay, baling hay, hauling hay, and feeding the beef cattle.

Tractors in use are a John Deere 4230, 4640 FWA, 4020 Diesel PowerShift, 3020 Diesel PowerShift, 630 gas, and 730 Diesel. Also shown are models 420 Utility, 435 Diesel, and a Model A.

Videos are shot with an iPhone and DJI Phantom 4.

2017 was a very busy year, with a lot of accomplishments, and a few failures. This was also the first full year with the new Reinke center pivot, which greatly increased the farm yield.

Hopefully, 2018 will be a successful year, filled with many new adventures and prosperity.

2018 Vintage Iron Calendar

The 2018 Vintage Iron Calendar is live!

This year’s calendar features and is dedicated to my grandfather, who is in the cover photo.

Check it out. If you decide to purchase one, thanks for supporting my photography.

2018 Vintage Iron by Kyle Weber

2018 Vintage Iron by Kyle Weber

2018 Vintage Iron Calendar. Featuring different John Deere 2 cylinder tractors, photographed in Star Valley Wyoming.

Source: www.etsy.com/listing/561237688/2018-vintage-iron-by-kyle-weber

Untitled

Where we’ve received a lot of snow the past few days, I used it as an excuse to get some seat time on the G by making a little road though the field to feed the cattle with. I think it did a pretty good job–even if it did snow a lot the following night… Guess I’ll have to do it again. 😉 If you get bored, there’s GoPro footage at the end. There’s no sound because the sound wasn’t worth including.

Planting with the John Deere A and LL-A Grain Drill

This year I took the opportunity to have a little fun with planting oats in one of our smaller fields.  I used the 1947 John Deere Model A that I recently restored, as well as our old grain drill (aka planter, late 1950s).  It may not have been the quickest way to plant the oats, but I, and the dogs, had a lot of fun doing it!

The three videos here show us getting the drill ready and making sure everything on it works.  The second video shows the John Deere 4230 disking the field.  Last year we used the Model A as well as the John Deere 2010 to plow the field.  Since it was plowed last fall, you disk it before you plant it to break up the larger chunks into a more fine powder, so the drill can do accurately seed the crop.  The final video shows the actual planting process.

October Through December 2012 Photo Journal

I finally got around to finishing the photo journal 2012.  As you may notice, there are many photos of me feeding cattle.  That’s because with the days as short as they were, my schedule basically consisted of going to work, coming home and feeding the cows, then getting home just in time for it to get dark.

John Deere A Pulling Straw Wagon

This is a video of my restored 1947 John Deere A pulling a wagon loaded with 3×3 straw bales (1/2 ton alfalfa sized).  Although we have newer and more appropriate tractors for such a task, it is fun to see the A that I worked so hard on over the past year doing some real work.  Not to mention that it sounds good too!  I can’t begin to describe how much work, time, and effort has gone into getting it where it is now.  Even though she isn’t painted nor the most pretty tractor, it is much further ahead then I thought it would be at this point.  When I pulled it out from its resting place (where it had been as long as I can remember) a year ago I told myself that I would work on it ‘a little here, and a little there’ and that it would take about ten years to complete.  I never would have imagined that I would have it to the point where it is currently at only a year later.  The list of things that were wrong with it include a locked-up motor, seized up brakes, rotted rims, missing carburator, no front tires, rotted/leaking water return pipe, rotten/gone mag, rusted valves, completely-filled with debris cooling system (hadn’t had a cap on the radiator in years), and on and on!  It also had a mouse nest in one of the cylinders!  It had been sitting out for as long as I can remember–so when I brought it home I looked at it and asked myself, “what have I done getting myself into such a project!”.  Needless to say, now that it is starting to bear some fruit from my labors, it makes it all worth it.  Plus it’s been fun, too!