I finally got around to finishing the photo journal 2012. As you may notice, there are many photos of me feeding cattle. That’s because with the days as short as they were, my schedule basically consisted of going to work, coming home and feeding the cows, then getting home just in time for it to get dark.
This is a video of my restored 1947 John Deere A pulling a wagon loaded with 3×3 straw bales (1/2 ton alfalfa sized). Although we have newer and more appropriate tractors for such a task, it is fun to see the A that I worked so hard on over the past year doing some real work. Not to mention that it sounds good too! I can’t begin to describe how much work, time, and effort has gone into getting it where it is now. Even though she isn’t painted nor the most pretty tractor, it is much further ahead then I thought it would be at this point. When I pulled it out from its resting place (where it had been as long as I can remember) a year ago I told myself that I would work on it ‘a little here, and a little there’ and that it would take about ten years to complete. I never would have imagined that I would have it to the point where it is currently at only a year later. The list of things that were wrong with it include a locked-up motor, seized up brakes, rotted rims, missing carburator, no front tires, rotted/leaking water return pipe, rotten/gone mag, rusted valves, completely-filled with debris cooling system (hadn’t had a cap on the radiator in years), and on and on! It also had a mouse nest in one of the cylinders! It had been sitting out for as long as I can remember–so when I brought it home I looked at it and asked myself, “what have I done getting myself into such a project!”. Needless to say, now that it is starting to bear some fruit from my labors, it makes it all worth it. Plus it’s been fun, too!
This is a video of a John Deere 4020 loading half-ton bales onto a wagon being pulled by a John Deere 4230 on August 1, 2012.
Having spent so much time restoring the John Deere A, I tried to use it for a few little tasks around the farm. Here’s a video of it harrowing a pasture and hauling some half ton alfalfa bales. Also included is a few photos of the restoration process.
I took a nice little stroll to the beef cows that are currently on the dry farm on the 1939 John Deere Model A. I’ve been working on the tractor most of the winter, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to warm the motor up a bit and let it stretch its legs. It was so pretty that I decided to film it. Since I’m just holding my camera, it’s a little bumpy. The video shows the beautiful west hills in Freedom, Wyoming (which is actually in Idaho) on the Robert Weber farm.
Driving around the 1939 John Deere A after doing some work on it throughout the winter. We replaced the radiator core, muffler, and rebuilt carburator. This is the same tractor that I made the time lapse video reassembly of. It’s amazing how much work you end up doing any time you decide to tear down into one of these things. You go to fix one thing, and find that there are two more things that need to fix.