Mowing hay (a mixture of alfalfa and grass) with a John Deere Model A and Number 5 sickle mower. We have a nice rotary swather, but thought it’d be fun to spend some time and shoot some video of the A and No. 5.
I was a little later getting to the feeding tonight, but it gave me a good opportunity to use my newly installed LED lights. They are a lot brighter than the originals, yet still fit in the same housings (and look “original”). Also, the snow is getting deeper. It’s been pretty cold lately, so the tractor still goes through it okay. It was around 10 degrees F when I was feeding.
Last year, I used the 630 to feed with. However, I thought it would be fun to try the A as well. I think the A is one of my favorite two-cylinder models.
In this video I’m feeding beef cattle (Herefords and Angus) with the A and a custom-made feeder. The feeder used to be a round bale bagger. I converted it to work with the 3x4x8 large square bales. Bales are loaded with a 3020 PowerShift.
I took the A over my grandparents dry farm to get some photos. It’s a pretty steep climb for it–it went up in 4th but down in 2nd. The A has a nice sound under a load though.
I took the opportunity to have some seat time with the Model A and Number 5 mower. There was some tall grass that needed to be cut down as to not be a fire danger once it dries up. The grass was really tall, but the mower and tractor did a good job. Most of the issues were with the operator, as I’m used to using more modern equipment to cut hay with…
The Number 5 Mower was fun to use though, as it used to be my grandfathers mower, on my moms side. My grandpa used to spend a lot of time with it, so my restoring it and using it has a sentimental value to it as well.
As with the previous post, we also thought it’d be fun to get the tractor out and go on the dry farm and take some photos. I took the John Deere Model A to the top of the alfalfa hill behind my grandparents, where we were able to get some pretty good photos.
Last night I took the John Deere Model A out for a few photos. There was a bright moon, so I thought it would be neat to see how the exposure would turn out. I think there was a little too much light though as there weren’t many stars in the photo. However, it was pretty cloudy so I don’t know if it would have mattered much anyway.
To create the shots, I had the camera on a tripod and and did a 30 second exposure with my 5D Mark II. On the one on the left I also hit it with five seconds of light off of the LED flashlight from my iPhone. I think the results turned out pretty well.
The John Deere Models B, A, and G were three machines tractors in the series of consecutive models in the letter series. The B was the smallest, followed by the A, then the mighty G, which was the largest of the row crops. To make this a complete series of row crop lettered series tractors, I would simply be missing the Model M, which would be the smallest of the group of row-crop models. There was also the models D and R, which were “standards”, and not row-crop.
My grandpa gave me a John Deere No. 5 sickle mower that he used to use on his farm. He spent a lot of hours with it mowing alfalfa with his dad while he was growing up. Since I’ve got the machinery to pull it, I thought it’d be a lot of fun to take it and get it working with my John Deere A or B. I have since gotten it working, and it works very well behind the A! I’ll probably never cut down an entire field with it, but it’s fun to see how it works and see how they used to do it in the “good old days”. For now, it’s job is going to be trim work around the barn area and trimming down the sides of the roads.
I had intentions on writing up a photo-book story of the restoration process of the John Deere Model A. I’m having a hard time finishing it, so I thought in the meantime, I’d just throw it up here. If there are any major spelling/grammar mistakes or things you’d like added, please use the comments field below. I’ll add some photos later. Click “Continue Reading” below for the full story.